Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Sunday, August 21, 2011

#GBE2 Growing Wild in a New Dimension

This Sunday I've been offered two bloggy opportunities. Rhonda over at Laugh Quotes is experimenting with her new Silly Sunday and my GBE 2 group has dropped the topic of "Growing Wild." As one who usually writes humor, these topics are made for me, but not today. "Growing Wild" must take on a unique interpretation that fits the definition of "without restraint" because my good friend will soon be free.
My Friend and Me

Dear Swaz,
     I'm sorry for being so selfish yesterday morning. You gave me the message, but I just didn't want to see it. I held onto the hope that things could get better. They're not. The smell of death is all around you. Honey Bear and Millie know it as they sniff and keep their distance. You won't eat, drink, and although you've tried to stand your body has given out. 
     We've been together for almost thirteen years, which is a long time for a golden retriever like you. If you were human, we'd be celebrating your Bar Mitzvah, but you got the fate of a canine and we're preparing for your death instead.
     I remember picking you up from a home in Mississippi where I met your beautiful parents--Precious and Rebel. I'm sure they are waiting for you as are many of your brothers and sisters because baby, you've lived a long life. 
      That day we got you, you were the round puppy with the pretty face. You shook in my arms the entire trip home but soon adjusted to the family where you were loved completely. 
     I will miss you greeting me at the door when I come home, your tail wag, but most of all the special way you used to sing to us when we called our lover dog.
     If you want to go now, I give you permission because I don't want you to suffer anymore. Daddy will be home around two. If you're still breathing, we'll help you to go.
      I love you, Swaz, and eventually I'll find a way to stop crying because now you will find a way to grow wild in a place where you can run free.


Mommy

    

Not great quality, but here are some pictures from his younger days.

22 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

He is so cute, cuddly :)

Catch My Words said...

Thanks Claudia. I need to get my husband to scan the puppy pictures. He was the cutest puppy ever; but, back then we didn't use digital cameras, blog, or enjoy lap tops.

julie fedderson said...

This was beautiful. I'm so sorry about your loss--losing a pet is just like losing part of the family.

Catch My Words said...

He died at 9:30 this morning.

Anonymous said...

This did make me cry. I'm so sorry that you're hurting. ♥

Sandee said...

Our flat coat retriever will be nine this October. I'm not looking forward to this either. What a great tribute you wrote to your very dear baby. Made me cry.

Super big healing hugs today. :)

Unknown said...

Aww....

Paula Martin said...

So sorry, it's so hard losing a beloved member of your family.

Binky said...

So sorry to hear this, Joyce. Dogs are wonderful creatures in every way, but they never, ever, live long enough.

angela Parson Myers said...

Yes, I cried. It swept me back to the loss of my "empty nest" dog, the one that cuddled against me when both my daughter moved out in the same week--one half-a-continent away with her new husband, the other to a nearby town to test her wings. Dogs are very much members of our families.

Rhonda Albom said...

So sorry to hear it Joyce. {{{hugs}}} Lovely tribute.

And thanks for the link over to my blog :)

Catch My Words said...

Thanks everybody. I can't help but wonder if Erica going off to college depressed him and sped up what was happening already. My childhood dog died after I went to college too.

Unknown said...

Oh Joyce, I am so sorry!! This made me cry too!! Such a lovely and moving tribute to such a dear friend.

Kathy
http://www.thetruckerswife.com/index.html

grains of sand said...

Oh My, this is so touching and certainly resonates with me. My Golden is 11 1/2 and is showing all the signs of slowing down.
The Goldens are so majestic with their unique brand of loyalty and gentleness.
May the void in your heart be filled with the joyful memories you had.
Peace & Blessings...Marc :)

Brenda Stevens said...

ok my first day back and can't wait to read my dear friends thoughts.....and i am bawling here

omy gosh....that letter...i still can't believe my dad is gone..and well my Freckles is my dearest buddy...she is 4 now. (american bulldog) i talk to her and i am her mommy..and well she knows when i am hurting. Jumps up on the couch and sits with me. She is more intuitive then my husband!!! : ( i just so feel your pain right now. ((hugs)) i know there is nothing i can say...so so sorry witnessing goodbyes sucks...thank GOD for the promise of HEAVEN..just KNOW we will see them all again

Dances With Vodka said...

Aw! I know how you feel all too well. I do believe that dogs go to Heaven and I'm sure he's happy there, wagging his tail and chasing butterflies.

Darlene ~Bloggity Blogger~ said...

You were right... It made me cry. I'm so sorry for your loss. He's at peace now and you have wonderful memories to get you through. (((hug)))

Jo said...

(((Hugs))) Bless your heart ... I have been there and know that there are absolutely no words to help and nothing but time that will make you smile at the mention of him. For me, the tears can still occasionally accompany a story of one of my lost furbabies, but I will always have one near me. more ((hugs))

The Host said...

:( I'm sorry for your loss.

Catch My Words said...

Thanks to all for the well wishes. I walked our two dogs today, and it didn't feel right without the Swaz.

Cherie said...

Wishing that your memories of him bring you joy. Having just lost my 17-year-old cat in June, I feel this deeply. I, too, blogged to thank him for all he'd done for me, for my son. I still miss him every day, but smile when I think of all he brought me. When it's time, you let them go no matter how much it hurts. Blessings on his way!

Langley Cornwell said...

Condolences on the loss of Swaz. I know the pain too well and my heart aches for you.